Geophysics and astronomy
This area comprises primarily the following three activities: seismology, astronomy and solar radiation measurements:
Seismology consists of measuring and monitoring the seismic activity in Tunisia in order to:
- Prevent seismic risks and alert authorities if necessary.
- Develop maps which trace seismic fault lines and their importance.
- Develop and update the earthquake catalogue in Tunisia.
- Elaborate geophysical studies.
- Contribute to the development of earthquake engineering.
- Prepare the seismotectonic map.
- Study the microzonation of Greater Tunis and other regions of the country.
Astronomy allows for the execution of the following tasks:
- Developing computation data for the observation of the lunar crescent.
- Observing the lunar crescent nationwide.
- Establishing lunar and solar eclipse dates.
- Developing ephemerides.
The measurement of solar radiation consists in quantifying the different types of solar radiation in Tunisia.
Core resources of this sector:
- A national seismology centre.
- A regional centre of solar radiation.
- A national seismological network.
- A national network of accelerographs.
- A national network of stations of solar radiation measurement.
- A seismological data bank.
- A radiation data bank.